Cuisine: Balkan inspired
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 12 lentil meatballs
This is a recipe that has been recreated based on what my grandmother used to cook for me. Meatballs in tomato sauce with a side of potato mash. Great to warm you up on cold days!
I wanted to make my own version of meatballs, making them vegan. All the ingredients are blitzed together in a food processor, and what is binding them together is steamed Tilda Wholegrain Basmati with Wild rice, making it a faster recipe with not a bunch of rice leftover.
The meatballs are packed with flavour and veggies, and even the kids will love it!
- 1 cup of cooked rice (I used Tilda Wholegrain Basmati with Wild Rice)
- 1 can of lentils, drained
- Half an onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons of Saucer ketchup
- 1,5 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 1,5 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of thyme and oregano
- Half cup of breadcrumbs
- Coconut oil or any other neutral oil
- Cook the rice.
- Chop the onion and cook in a pan with a little drizzle of oil, until translucent. This will take about 5 minutes. Then add your chopped carrot and mushrooms, and let it cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can add a splash of water if needed.
- Once the vegetables are a bit softer, add the lentils, rice, Saucer ketchup, herbs, spices, salt and pepper. Cook for about 7 more minutes until fragrant.
- Add the mixture into the food processor and blend everything together, to the desired consistency. I like to leave mine a bit chunky.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the mixture and stir it in well. Make sure you taste the mixture now, as now it is still time to add more salt, pepper, or any herbs and spices.
- Now you can start shaping the meatballs together. You can use a tablespoon or a small ice cream scoop to measure.
- Once the balls are all rolled out, you can place them in the fridge and prepare your Saucer tomato sauce.