Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
Such a versatile sauce! It’s delicious with a meatball recipe, but you can use it on any pasta recipe or even rice. Basically whenever you feel like using a creamy tomato sauce. The addition of Saucer ketchup really boosts the flavour and what makes it creamy are the blended cashews – no need for cream at all. You can easily sneak in some more vegetables, like pumpkin, carrots or even kumara.
- Half an onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 cans of tinned diced tomatoes (nothing added)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of Saucer ketchup
- 1 cup of roasted pumpkin (optional)
- 2 teaspoon of vegetable stock powder
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Half a cup of water
- Coconut oil or any other neutral oil
- Half cup of soaked and drained cashews (soak in hot water for at least 30 minutes)
- Few leaves of fresh basil
- Chop the onion and cook in a deep pan with a little drizzle of oil, until translucent. This will take about 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for a few minutes longer until fragrant, stir occasionally.
- Now add all the remaining ingredients, except the cashews and fresh basil leaves. Stir well and bring to boil, once it bubbles reduce to a low heat. Let it cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime take your drained cashews and blend them into a paste.
- After 30 minutes add the cashew paste and chopped fresh basil leaves, stir together and remove from the heat.
Serve hot with Vegan lentil “meatballs”, or over pasta…